Margaret Schommer, 96, died peacefully, Feb. 24. There will be a rosary 4 p.m. Sunday, March 5, at St. Therese Church, 1260 NE 132nd Ave. There will be a funeral Mass at 11 a.m. Monday, March 6, also at St. Therese, followed by a reception.

Mrs. Schommer was preceded in death by her husband, Andrew Schommer. 

Mrs. Schommer was born June 21, 1920, and grew up in Yonkers, New York. She attended Yonkers #4 Public School.  After a year in Business College she went to work at Macy’s Department Store.  Later she had the opportunity to work at Tishman Realty on Wall Street. She remained there for four years as a personal assistant to Mr. Healy, the owner.  With no real future at Tishman, Mrs. Schommer pursued other opportunities and found work with career potential at the Shell Oil Company — where she was working when she met her future husband, Andy Schommer.

Mrs. Schommer belonged to The Catholic Young Women’s Club which put on dances for U.S. Service Men before they shipped out overseas in the World War II effort.  The couple met at the first dance that she attended.  When Mr. Schommer deployed, the two agreed to correspond while he was gone.  They kept in touch for four years.  Mr. Schommer was discharged in New York and stayed three weeks before returning to Portland, where he had established his building business.  Mrs. Schommer visited Portland and Mr. Schommer visited New York until they were married June 7, 1947.

The Schommers returned to Portland where they would raise their three sons, Stephen, Craig and Robert.

The couple were devout Catholics and devoted their lives to the Catholic Church. Mrs. Schommer was an inspiration to all who met her with her zeal and enthusiasm for her Catholic life. She was also a caring and loving homemaker and mother to her three sons.  Later she helped raise her nieces Carol, Rene and Leona. In addition to these family duties, Mrs. Schommer was involved with the family business, Schommer & Sons, from the time she married Andy Schommer in 1947 until just a few years ago.  In the early days, when the office was located in the family’s basement, she handled the office duties by herself.  In later years, as the company expanded, she maintained an office at the Schommer Sandy Boulevard location and then at Colwood Way.  She was a trainer and mentor to the office personnel as the company grew.  She was also a mother to the project managers, and a friend and confidant to the field personnel.  She wasinterested in the business until the day she passed, always asking questions when her sons visited. 

Mrs. Schommer was a member of St. Rose Parish from 1950 to 2000. In 2001 Mrs. Schommer moved to Summerplace and joined St. Therese Parish, where she remained an active member participating in the Our Lady of Perpetual Help Guild. She spent her “golden years” traveling, square dancing, and enjoying her grandchildren and later her great grandchildren.

Mrs. Schommer prided herself on her love of the Lord and her strong Catholic faith.  She was devoted to St. Therese, the little flower.  Mrs. Schommer was a member of the Secular Order of Discalced Carmelites.

She is survived by her three sons, seven grandchildren and two great grandchildren.

Remembrances may be made to the Discalced Carmelite Friars of Mt. Angel, or The Frank D. Masterson S.J. Memorial Fund at Jesuit High School of Portland.