ASTON, PA — Franciscan Sister Margaret Van Wagenen, OSF, 79, (formerly Sister Florecita) died in Assisi House Dec. 19. She had been a professed member of the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia for 59 years. All services will be held in Assisi House, 600 Red Hill Rd., Aston, PA, Wednesday, Dec. 21. A Christian Wake Service will be held at 9:30 a.m. followed by viewing. Mass of Christian Burial at will be at 11 a.m. Burial will be in Our Lady of Angels Cemetery in Aston.
Sister Margaret was born in Mitchell, South Dakota. She entered the congregation in 1954 and professed her first vows in 1957. Sister Margaret later earned a B.S. in liberal arts from Marylhurst College in Portland, and an M.A. in Special Education from Gonzaga University in Spokane, Washington. She ministered primarily in education and child care.
During her eight years in the Archdiocese of Portland, Sister Margaret taught at Blessed Sacrament School and St. John Fisher School, both in Portland. She also taught at St. James School in McMinnville.
Sister Margaret ministered for 20 years in the Archdiocese of Spokane. She taught at St. Charles School in Spokane as well as at St. Anne Home. She cared for the children at St. Joseph Children’s Home and worked in special education at St. Francis Guest House.
Sister Margaret also ministered in the Diocese of San Bernardino. She taught at St. Thomas School in Riverside and served as the director of the day care at St. Edward School in Corona.
In the Diocese of Wilmington, Sister Margaret ministered as a resource teacher for four years at Christ Our King School.
Sister Margaret moved to the Archdiocese of Philadelphia in 2000. She served as a volunteer at St. Francis DeSales School for 15 years. During the last year of her life, she lived in Assisi House in Aston where she served in prayer ministry.
Sister Margaret is survived by her brother, Donald VanWagenen, a sister, Patricia Stacy, her nieces and nephews, and by her Franciscan family.
Donations in her name can be made to the Sisters of St. Francis Foundation, 609 S. Convent Rd., Aston, PA 19014.