The view from the altar in the new chapel in the lobby at PeaceHealth Sacred Heart Medical Center, University District campus in Eugene. (Courtesy PeaceHealth)
The view from the altar in the new chapel in the lobby at PeaceHealth Sacred Heart Medical Center, University District campus in Eugene. (Courtesy PeaceHealth)
EUGENE —Archbishop Alexander Sample blessed the new chapel in the lobby at PeaceHealth Sacred Heart Medical Center, University District campus May 20. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, the small in-person ceremony was streamed to PeaceHealth Oregon caregivers.

PeaceHealth Oregon’s spiritual care team opened the ceremony with blessings and prayers. Rev. Micki Varner, director of mission services, Father Joseph Echeme and Rev. Stephen Dietrich, Oregon network manager of spiritual care, each contributed to the ceremony.

Hospital officials said they were honored to welcome Archbishop Sample.

Todd Salnas, PeaceHealth Oregon’s chief executive, and Alicia Beymer, chief administrative officer for Sacred Heart Medical Center, University District, shared their gratitude for PeaceHealth caregivers’ ongoing commitment to the mission envisioned by PeaceHealth’s founders, the Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace. They thanked the hospital’s construction partners for their steady, hard work to build the new worship space.

This is the fourth chapel to serve as the spiritual heart of the healing ministry at Sacred Heart Medical Center here. The first, dedicated in 1939, was replaced by a second chapel in 1952, which was replaced by a third in 1982.

The latest chapel’s design includes statues and furnishings from the 1982 chapel and two large stained-glass windows from the 1952 chapel.

The new chapel, as well as other changes to the hospital lobby, are part of a broader modernization project, which involves the removal of four vacant buildings, including the former Johnson Unit and the remaining wing of the former Sacred Heart General Hospital.

A video shown at the end of the chapel blessing ceremony was produced to honor PeaceHealth’s history in Eugene and the care provided over the years in the buildings that are being removed.