The University of Portland's Defining Moment Campaign has brought in more than $100 million, surpassing the original goal of the campaign by $25 million.

University president, Holy Cross Father David Tyson, made the announcement Friday to regents who had gathered to celebrate the university's centennial year.

'We are deeply grateful to the many thousands of men and women who have lifted the university to this height, as we set forth into our second century on the bluff,' Father Tyson said, 'and we are especially grateful today to the late Maurie Clark and the Clark family whose gift put us over the $100 million mark.

'Maurie was a great friend and benefactor of the university, and it's fitting that his gift enables us to hit this milestone,' Father Tyson added.

Centennial activities included a Mass, a barbecue in the quad for university students, staff, faculty, and regents and a fireworks show over the Willamette River. The campaign and centennial-year festivities and events will run through Commencement on May 5, 2002.

The campaign began in 1995 with the construction of Franz Hall, built with lead gifts from regents Bob Franz and Elsie Franz Finley. The academic center was recognized by American Schools and Universities magazine for its innovative classroom design. Orrico Hall, home to the university's health and counseling center and career services office, also opened that year. The building is named for former regent Frank Orrico and his family.

Corrado Hall, the university's sixth residence hall, opened in 1998. It's named for regent Albert Corrado, a 1955 university graduate, and his wife Susanne, the building's primary donors.

In 1999, the Defining Moment Campaign was publicly announced with a goal of raising at least $75 million for students, faculty, and campus resources by May 2002. The minimum goal was surpassed in a matter of weeks.

Also that year, Swindells Hall, named for regent George Swindells, a 1955 graduate, and his wife, Susan, opened. The university's environmentally sensitive science building includes labs, classrooms, radioisotope rooms, and a greenhouse. Last year, Haggerty Hall and University Court - townhouses for upperclassmen, opened. The housing was made possible by a gift from Peggy Haggerty, a 1975 university graduate and regent, in honor of her parents Lawrence and Mary Ellen Haggerty.

Here are other Defining Moment Campaign highlights:

• The university has had 28 gifts of $1 million or more, including individual gifts of $5 million, $6 million and $10.8 million - all from Portland-area donors. (From 1901 to 1990 the University had three such gifts.)

• More than 5,000 gifts have been between $1 and $100.

• A total of 54 percent of alumni have given to the campaign so far.

• A total of 85 percent of faculty and staff have given to the campaign.

• A total of 51 percent of the Class of 2001 have given to the campaign.

• There have been 242 endowed scholarships.

• The Presidents Club has 385 members ($1,000 or more).

• More than $1 million has been raised for the annual fund for five consecutive years.

• The campaign has led to five endowed chairs and six new buildings.

• More than $30 million has been raised for student scholarships.