A rendering in a 1950s parish publication shows the original St. Francis Church in East Portland, built in 1876. (Archdiocese of Portland archives)
A rendering in a 1950s parish publication shows the original St. Francis Church in East Portland, built in 1876. (Archdiocese of Portland archives)

On last Sunday the Catholic Church erected during the past year in East Portland was dedicated to the service of Almighty God under the patronage of ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISIUM. The ceremonies commenced at 10 1/2 a.m. with the blessing of the church by Archbishop F.N. Blanchet.

As soon as this portion of the ceremony was concluded, the large congregation who were waiting outside were admitted, and solemn High Mass was immediately commenced.

After the Gospel Very Rev. J. F. Fierens preached an eloquent sermon appropriate to the occasion, pointing out the distinctive marks which designate the tabernacle of God, and congratulating the Catholics of East Portland on having now a temple sacred to divine worship where they could visit the Blessed Sacrament daily. The discourse was replete with beautiful ideas and was listened to with marked attention.

The new edifice is beautifully located at the Eastern extremity of the city and is built in the Gothic style, the main edifice being sufficiently large to accommodate the congregation of East Portland for many years to come. 

— Sept. 28, 1876